PK IN SWEDEN

PK IN SWEDEN

Saturday, June 22, 2013

THE POWER OF PRAYER

"Teach us to pray," they asked, and he did. Pray as a people, he said, who know that God is OUR Father, and not yours exclusively. Pray, he said, knowing that your prayers may commit you to action. Never profane your Father's name, he warned, and acknowledge that God provides all good things. We know this prayer as the "Lord's Prayer," but there other prayers, aren't there? There are drive-around prayers, down-on-your-knees prayers, specific prayers, and general prayers. There are prayers, such as St. Francis' prayer, that call for the best within us. There are popular prayers like the prayer of Jabez, the Serenity Prayer, and Biblical prayers (eg. I believe, help my unbelief).

There are a lot of prayers, and even more opinions about prayers. So let's talk about prayer for a moment. Some people have trouble believing in prayer because it doesn't fit their preconceived notion of God, or what God may or may not deem important. One man noted that he just couldn't bring himself to believe in a God who, on the hand, created all that is, and on the other hand, cares whether he gets a pay raise or not. People like this have already decided that their concerns and needs are too small for God, and in doing so, they close the door to a meaningful relationship with their Lord. Other people see prayer as a means of getting what they want for themselves. They make little or know effort to get fit spiritually, but if the chips are down, they may offer up a plea to a God, often expecting God to prove that prayer is worth their time. There are also Christians who simply don't develop the discipline of prayer.  They underestimate its importance and starve their spirits. There are such unfortunates... but let us vow NOT to be one of them. Let us agree to be a praying church. Indeed, let us build our ministry around prayer because prayer is our MOST powerful spiritual tool.

Prayer is the quintessential mark of a Christian. It is the most visible sign of faith- and with this in mind, I would like to issue a challenge to all of us, including this pastor, and the challenge is this: let's- each and every one of us- double our prayer life. Let's double our prayer life and experience the transforming power of God! I'm certain that our church will be blessed if each one of us doubled his or her prayer life. If those of us who've been praying once a week (and some of us are not praying that frequently) would pray twice a week; if those of us who've been praying once a day would pray twice a day; and if those of us who have been praying 30 minutes a week would commit to pray 60 minutes a week... our church would be radically altered. We would give more time and talent, study God's word more intently, and invite others to church more frequently. If we increase our prayer life, we will grow spiritually, we will grow numerically, and we will grow as a Christian family. It is a spiritual axiom that prayer deepens a person's relationship with God and strengthens his or her commitment to Christ.

Prayer works. So let's pray. Let's pray as if everything depends on God and work as if everything depends on us. Let's pray, not to get what we want from God, but to intercede for others and to seek God's leading and support for our journey. Let's pray. not for specific things, but for specific people and for specific ways of serving Christ. Let's pray because we love and trust God, and let's continue to pray whether God's answer is "yes," or "no," because praying is its own reward. Over the years I have had more "no" answers to prayer than I can count, but I have actually increased my commitment to prayer over time because prayer is NOT about me getting what I want. I prayed that my brother, Randy, would live and then conducted his funeral. I prayed that my brother, Larry, would live and conducted his funeral. I have conducted well over 100 funerals as a pastor, and many of them were people I knew and loved... and prayed for.  God has also answered my prayers- some really important ones- but either way, I keep praying because prayer is about my love for God and my trust in Him.

So I pray, but I ought to pray more- much more. We all do, but some of you may be asking, "Why should I pray?" If I don't need anything, or if God has already determined the course of things, why should I pray? Well, since I have laid down a challenge to pray more, let me tell you why I pray. There are countless reasons to pray, but...

1.    I pray because Jesus did. It comforted and strengthened him and he is my Lord.
2.    I pray because I want to talk with God. Whoever heard of not talking to someone you love?
3.    I pray because I need to. Most of the things I encounter are too much for me and, like Lincoln,
       I am driven to me knees because I have no place else to turn.
4.    I pray because I believe that God hears, cares, and responds. He is my Father. He died on a
       cross for me and he has equipped me for service. I am part of his family and I know he cares.
5.    I pray because it makes me a better Christian. When I pray I draw closer to God and to the 
       people for whom I am praying.
6.    I pray for direction and discernment. Prayer is a dialogue and I receive answers from God...
       if I stop talking and listen.
7.    I pray because it works. Faith claims this and experience validates it... but for the scientists
       among you, let me assure you that there is empirical evidence as well.

Friends, if we commit to prayer, many doors will open up for us. I am sure of it.

Shalom,

No comments:

Post a Comment