PK IN SWEDEN

PK IN SWEDEN

Saturday, June 1, 2013

AN LETTER TO MY GRANDSON- YOU ARE LOVED JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE YOU


Dear Archer-

You scored a goal in your soccer game today, June 1, 2013, and just knowing this gives me great joy. In fact, I get great joy from all that you do and say. I am amused that you told your barber that you have six names, and I think it’s “hysterical,” that you are also Mario (and sometimes Luigi). I am so pleased that you did well on your intelligence and aptitude tests because your scores are likely to improve your life in some ways. I wish that people wouldn’t keep score and label others… but since you will be helped by the process, I am quite pleased. I was also filled with joy when I saw you dancing for me in Brooklyn, although I wasn’t able to discern what particular dance you were doing, and I am very proud of how well you are doing in school. You have a wonderful mom and dad and a very happy grammy, who was really touched with the salt and pepper shakers you made. When I heard that you enjoyed a stand-up comic that you saw, and that you really wanted to go on stage yourself, I laughed with joy because most kids who are 4 (almost 5) would neither enjoy a stand-up comedian nor even consider doing it themselves. Maybe we could develop an act, and go on tour as a really, really old person and a very young person! For years, long, long before you were born, I often wondered what joy would feel like. I even tried to bring it about and make it happen, but it didn’t work! Sometimes I had fun and many times I had a lot of laughs, but I could not make joy happen. Instead, I have discovered that joy simply comes to you when you love another person deeply. Joy overwhelms you when you forget about yourself and get fully entangled with another person’s excitement, laughter, and accomplishments.

I hope that you will always remember this lesson, but for now, I look forward to all of the joy that you will bring to me- simply because I love who you are. I received the same kind of joy when your mommy scored her first soccer goal and when you aunt Kelli graduated from college. Joy also came upon me when your cousin Brooke (aka Brooklee) and I “mooed” for our shakes at a cafĂ© in Joliet and when your cousin, Brittany, and I made up songs on the way to school. Brooke and Brit gave me joy for the same reason that you give me joy- I love all of them with all of my heart, as I do grammy. Finally, I must mention Donald. He’s 1 year old, and even though I don’t see him often, I love him very much. His great smile and big eyes give me joy, and he may well score a goal some day too.

Well, that’s about it. It’s almost midnight and I have to preach a sermon in the morning. Thanks for giving me joy, Archer. It is a remarkable thing, and maybe it’s only old people who really know how good it is. Remember, you don’t have to do anything special or win something to give me joy. I hope these things will come to you, but you give me joy just because I love you as you are. One last thing- I heard that you made a great defensive play also- and that the other kids gave you a “high five.” That’s our boy!

Poppy
AN

No comments:

Post a Comment