PK IN SWEDEN

PK IN SWEDEN

Saturday, November 9, 2013

PLEASE! THE CHURCH IS NOT A BUSINESS!

If I've heard it once, I've heard it a hundred time- the church is just like a business. Whenever "church" is discussed, someone is likely to say- often with the words, "I hate to say it but," as an introduction, "The church is just another business."  Well, it's not, and never can be because Jesus Christ is the acknowledged head of the church. 

I spent many years as an executive in the business world and I've taught management, leadership, and business classes for a number of colleges. I know business and I know church, and I can assure you that neither one would be very comfortable in the other's shoes. I suspect that some of those who say that the church is just a business... are trying to say that the church is an organization... and there is no doubt about that. In the churches that I am familiar with, there are rules and procedures to follow, employees and bills to be paid, orderly ways of recognizing achievement and welcoming guests, and a slew of committee meetings besides. In the churches that I know, there are also budgets, clear lines of authority (in most cases), and the need to discuss things like FSA, ADA, and EEO. Yes, your church is very much an organization, and more than that, if it's faithful, it's committed to growth and transformation- just like any other organization. But... your church is not and never can be like a business... because Christ is its Lord!

When I was in the supermarket business, Mr. Monasee was our President, and when I was in the Department store business, Mr Gordman was our CEO... but now.... Christ Jesus is my boss (period).  Of course, I work with a leadership board and they expect a lot from me.  Moreover, I'm accountable to everyone of our members. I'm expected to attend certain meetings, show up at our community events, and keep office hours. In short, I have all sorts of obligations and responsibilities, and that's the way it should be... BUT Jesus Christ... is my director and my Lord... and this makes all the difference in the world in the way I lead, interact with others, and measure success. In the world's view, winning the race is all that matters- in the church "finishing the race" is more important. In the business world, it's every person for him/herself- in the church, we are called to love one another. In the corporate world, "perception is everything"- in the church, perception (as a standard) is nothing at all. In the business arena, competitiveness is the norm, but the church is based on cooperation. In the businesses I've known, getting (bonuses, perks) is far more important than giving, but in the church, it is better to give than receive. Who has ever seen a Performance Review that rates humility, gentleness, patience, or even honesty? But these lie at the core of what it means to be a Christian. The goal in business is to make profits- the goal in church is to serve Christ, Businesses seek to get bigger- churches seek to be more faithful. Businesses seek to the reward their high performers- churches seek to strengthen those who are in danger of getting lost.

I could go on and one. I could list many more differences, but the point is clear: the church is not (and can never be) a business... because Jesus Christ is the CEO. The entire way of seeing and measuring success, the interactions among people, and the values that are taught and expected- all of these (and more) are totally at odds between churches and businesses. Clearly, churches and businesses share the ability to provide community, fellowship, and purpose, and both of them give more to the poor and needy... but only one of them calls Jesus Lord. Only one of them is in the soul business. Only one even considers forgiving 70 times 7, and there's not a business leader in the world who would hang on a cross for any of us.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. The objective of opening a church should not be business. Unfortunately, everywhere we see there are politics and fights over the church for owning the monetary profits. Thank you Kenn for the blog post. It is eye opening!
    - Church Supply Store

    ReplyDelete