PK IN SWEDEN

PK IN SWEDEN

Monday, November 4, 2013

A GRATEFUL PASTOR

There's a time for every season- a time to laugh, a time to cry, a time to be born, and a time to die. There's a time to say "yes," a time to say "no," a time to hang on... a time to let go. There's a time for everything under the sun... and now is the time for me to say "thank you" to the members of my church family... who surprised me with a Pastor Appreciation Potluck (we're big on potlucks) last evening.  They blessed Sherry and me with their generosity and their thoughtfulness, and we are very grateful! We enjoyed food and fellowship, and we left with our arms full of cards and gifts. The gifts were thoughtful, and I received enough cash to buy a golf pass next spring... but it was the appreciation and love that really touched my heart.

Seth wrote, "Thank you for being my pastor, teaching me about God, and being funny and nice," and Olivia added, "Pastor Kenn, I love you so much." Seth and Olivia are two of my favorite kids, and their words are like treasure to me. One of our members called me his friend, and another couple thanked me for "making this church a 'family' again." Actually, a number of people commented about the changes that have occurred in the church, and I thank them for their affirmation. Maverick (another one of my favorite kids) said I was the "best pastor ever," and several people were kind enough to affirm my sermons. There were many other words that touched both Sherry and me, but I will finish by letting you know how much I valued the cards that affirmed me for "being real" because "being real" is very important to me. When I started my ministry in Joliet, I encountered a woman who was cautious around pastors because she thought they were more likely to "talk the talk" than "walk the walk." She was resistant to pastoral care, but one day my persistence paid off, and she told me that I was the "real deal." The real deal. The real deal. That's really all that I have ever wanted to be, and I pray that my words and deeds will always bear witness to innermost self.

Christ saved me from a living hell. He really did. No one else did... because no one else could. I never even tried to save myself, but Christ saved me anyway. I know this to be true because I was there when it happened. I have many, many shortcomings. I still have too much pride, I tend to be impulsive. I'm impatient, and I should think before (rather than after) I speak. I know all of this and more about myself... but I also know that I am "in Christ," and nothing could ever be more real to me than that! Being talented is a good thing, but it's worthless unless you're real, and being real, on the other hand, is more than enough to get someone's attention, When I was at bottom in my life, Pastor Lu told me that God had forgiven me on Calvary's cross, and that, if I put my trust in Christ, my life would be filled with purpose and joy in this world...and in the next. Now, everyday, I feel an obligation to share the Good News with someone I love... and one of you noted that I had helped a loved one of yours...face death with peace and hope. Thanks for sharing that story with me. It made my day!

It's been five years since I arrived on the river, and I who must offer words of appreciation... to the people of "my" congregation for their support and love. Sherry and I are blessed to be here, and I couldn't imagine being anywhere else. Several of you mentioned transformation in one way or another, and I thank you for that. "Stirring things up," and adding numbers has always been important to me. At one time in my ministry, it was Most Important... but then I came to believe that spiritual growth (growing in Christ) is a greater priority. Inviting others into our church family, helping them grow in their faith- they are both important- but neither is worth much unless we love one another as Jesus loved us. Loving people as we find them, and helping them become their best selves in Christ... is my new priority. Therefore, as I said at the potluck, I see myself more and more as a servant, and less and less as a commander, with each passing day.

YOU have helped me grow as a pastor and as a person, and I thank you for that! As I look through our church directory, I can sincerely say that I love and value each face that I see. For the first time in my journey, I feel the love of God's people. For the first time, I don't even care if the grass is greener somewhere else. I get paid for loving others and being loved in Christ's name! What sort of a fool would turn away from that?

No comments:

Post a Comment