PK IN SWEDEN

PK IN SWEDEN

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

ARE WE SPOKES ON THE SAME WHEEL?

      Many years ago, while I lived in Omaha, I shared a meal with a good friend from AA and my pastor from the Reformed Church in America. Pastor Lu met us to talk about matters of faith, and somewhere during the luncheon, my friend stated that all faiths were pretty much the same. He said that we were all headed in the same direction, and that... when you get right down to it, our religions are all spokes on the same wheel. In the same time period, another friend of mine- a work associate- was with me on a business trip when we noticed a large billboard with the words, "JESUS DIED FOR YOU!" It was am awkward moment because my friend (like many of my other friends) was Jewish... but finally, he observed that "it doesn't matter what you believe just as long as you believe something."
      Both of these comments beckoned for inclusion, and as a Sociology student in college, I applaud inclusion. Both comments called for tolerance in a world where sharp lines of intolerance are often drawn, and both comments embrace the truth that most of the world's great religions have embraced some form of the golden rule. I agree with this point. I get it, and acknowledge that- to the extent that they call for more concern about our neighbor and a kinder, gentler self- our great religions are in agreement. However... this does NOT mean that they are spokes on the same wheel... and I doubt if many of their own adherents would agree with that statement. Hindu's believe in karma, reincarnation, and a quest for liberation; Buddhists believe in living disciplined lives of moderation until they experience enlightenment; Muslims believe in salvation through faithfulness and jihad; and Christians believe they are saved by accepting Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. Yes, it's true that most faiths teach righteousness, but they interpret this in very different ways. Some religions focus on the individual and repentance. Others focus on the community and the need to keep it unsoiled. Some faiths are preoccupied with guilt- others are more concerned with honor. Some religions are sure that money is incompatible with a life of faith, while others seem to be much less concerned with wealth. Jesus said that He is the Way, the Truth, and the Light... but that is certainly a statement, with which other "spokes on the wheel" (and even many Christians) would disagree.
      In short, we are not part of the same theological wheel, and I think we would do more justice to our faith... and to our neighbor's faith... if we honored our differences in love! To my Christian friends, I say "Merry Christmas" because it is Christmas, and to my many Jewish friends, I say, "Happy Hanukkah" because it is Hanukkah. It seems to me that, rather than pretending that it doesn't matter what we and others believe, it is far better to acknowledge what our neighbors' believe and to let them know what we believe... because what we believe DOES matter. Indeed, in the end, it may be the only thing that does!

No comments:

Post a Comment