PK IN SWEDEN

PK IN SWEDEN

Monday, July 27, 2015

THE LAST TIME IS ALWAYS HARD

      Last Thursday, I gave my stoles to a new friend in town. He's a young preacher and I wanted to give him a welcome-to-the-ministry gift. He will wear them well... and besides, I won't be needing them anymore... because my last day in the pulpit will be August 23, 2015. Today, I am writing my last Pastor's letter (below) and this coming Saturday, I will officiate at my mother's graveside service in Des Moines. I'm praying that it will be the last funeral service I will ever do. When you near retirement, you're in for a lot of "lasts," and it's hard to do anything or see anyone for the last time- especially if you know it's the last time. The same can be said for serving communion and teaching Bible studies- although I will cling to my Wednesday morning study for as long as I can.
      First, as I write my last letter to the members at SPPC, I want to express my gratitude for your support and for going out of your way to share your lives with Sherry and me. If you shared a meal with us, invited us to a QC event, let me into your golf circle, or befriended Sherry... we thank you! If you caught any part of the vision I tried to cast, or heard God's word in a new way from my preaching and teaching, I am thrilled!  If I was able to give you grace in your hour of darkness, I am humbled. Being here has been a good thing for all concerned. I was able to strengthen SPPC's faith journey, unify members as a church family, re-energize our children's ministries, welcome dedicated Christians into our fold, encourage members to get more deeply involved in church leadership, and initiate any number of new ministries. I feel good about these things, but I am disappointed in my inability to add to the numbers on Sunday mornings or on our ministry teams. Perhaps, these goals will be on the next pastor's plate... which brings me to your future.
      Friends, I will have no involvement in the search for you new pastor. None at all. But I will say these things before I go: 1) Call a pastor who knows Christ- a man or woman who really, really knows Christ; 2) Call a pastor whose first book of authority is the Bible, and who preaches from it every Sunday; 3) Call a pastor who will challenge your leaders to be servant-leaders... and who will lead your Session into a deeper and more transforming relationship with Christ; 4) Call your Session to be bold because the Holy Spirit is bold... and remind them that bold means BOLD; 5) Love one another as Christ loved you- sacrificially and with forgiveness- and learn to see Christ is every single one of them; 6) Encourage your pastor to help you improve your prayer life, and if that doesn't seem to be his/her cup of tea, improve your prayer life anyway... because a non-praying church is a church that has lost communication with God; 7) Follow the vision and listen to the prophets in your midst. There's a time when an organization has the luxury of coasting... BUT for SPPC, this time is gone! The time has come for you to cross the Rubicon and ride fearlessly into the future that God has in store for you!
      As for me, I'm going to write. I will miss my ministry. I won't miss the church- although Sherry and I will find a church to attend in the Chicago area- but I will miss doing what I love most.... which is preaching, teaching, and pastoral care. It is a privilege to preach God's word- an honor- and I've never taken it lightly. I love the word of God and I hope that my love has shown through to you. I love teaching too, which is why I've taught so many classes. I love the Gospels, the Old Testament, and I've learned to love Paul. They give me joy, and I hope that my joy has been visible to you. However, the most sacred thing I've done is to "be Christ" to families who are facing death. I've been blessed to sit with many of you as a loved one is dying, or has just died... and I know... the awkward silence... of that moment well. Then, the silence gives way to tears, stories about the person who died, funeral details, unexpressed confusion, visible pain, and exhaustion. It's always the same... but when I leave the family's presence, I know for sure that I've been on holy ground. Praise God, if death can't conquer faith, nothing ever will.
      It took her awhile. She was suspicious at first. She didn't trust pastors... but in the end, she told me that I was the "real deal." You're the "real deal," she said, and her affirmation has never left my mind... because being the "real deal" was always my greatest goal... and my greatest prayer. Keep Sherry in your prayers... and don't give up on SPPC.

Leheitraot,

pk

   

No comments:

Post a Comment