PK IN SWEDEN

PK IN SWEDEN

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

A BORN-AGAIN PRESBYTERIAN ?

When I was in the throes of my spiritual struggles (which had economic, relational, physical, and marital repercussions), my wife was counseling with the pastor of our neighborhood church. She was searching for serenity and hoping for a miracle. I've never been sure of just how long she'd been seeing and praying with Pastor Lu before I got involved, but in time- as my life spiraled more and more out of control, I certainly got involved. I "hit bottom," as they say in the 12-step world, and Pastor Lu came to visit me on the 6th floor of the Eppley treatment center in Omaha, Nebraska.

I was particularly vulnerable at that time, and I would've welcomed virtually anyone who cared enough to visit me. So, we talked... about my pain, my fears, my regrets, and my need for a new beginning. It wasn't a matter of philosophy or academic research- I had discovered first-hand that the way I was living my life was NOT working. It was a disaster- a complete and utter train wreck. I didn't know where to turn, but Pastor Lu said that he did. He said that I could find forgiveness and new birth in Christ. He didn't mention joining "his church." He just continued to tell me that there was new life in Christ, and that I would discover this life if I turned my life over to Him. He cited several Bible passages to support his position, not seeming to know that Biblical passages meant nothing to me. I didn't know any, hadn't read any, and certainly wouldn't put my trust in any, but... I was ready to embrace the new beginning he was talking about. I needed a second chance. I had reached the point where the unknown- whatever it turned out to be- had more appeal than the darkness that engulfed me.

So, I accepted my visitor's invitation to accept Jesus as my Lord and Saviour and to put my trust in Him. Sounding like Nicodemus, I asked Pastor Lu what I needed to do to claim the peace and cleansing that he was referring to, and he led me through a "Sinner's Prayer." Sometimes called the "Salvation Prayer," it's a prayer of surrender and trust. It's a prayer in which we can "release" our sins and receive forgiveness. As I recall, the prayer we said together was something like this: "Dear Lord, I know that I am a sinner and I ask your forgiveness. I believe that you died for my sins and rose from the dead. I turn my sin over to you and invite you to come into my heart and life, as Savior and Lord. I want to trust and follow you from this point forward, and with your help, I will serve you in every way that I can. Thank you, Lord Jesus, for redeeming me and for receiving this prayer. Amen." That was it- a decision, a prayer, a commitment. That moment was the beginning of a new life for me. In that moment, I was reborn. I was "saved," and I when I finished my treatment program, Sherry and I began to attend Lu's neighborhood church down the street. The people there loved us... and they showed it by involving us. We attended events, big and small; we were regulars at the Sunday evening service; I taught Bible Study (although I was never sure if it was E-phe-sus or Eph-e-sus); and I joined the church's Evangelism Committee (which really was evangelism).

All of this took place in the fall of 1976. It's been 37 years since Lu and I sat together on my treatment center bed, and God continues to bless Sherry and me in many ways. There are still hills to climb and obstacles to clear, but I never walk alone, and I always know that God is with me. I've been pastoring a "mainline" church for some time now. We don't lead many people in the Sinner's Prayer, but I will be forever glad that Pastor Lu did. We don't talk much about "being saved" either, but being saved is the source of our joy and our power. Rather than beginning with a surrendered life, we are more likely to struggle with how, and if, we can fit Christ into our lives. I know that I will not change the mainline church's direction, but I will always be grateful that the Rev. Luther Ratmeyer believed that the Christian life begins with surrender. In fact, although we've strived to be "relevant" for decades now, we (the mainline churches) continue to lose members in droves. Why? Because relevance is not the issue- rebirth is. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment