PK IN SWEDEN

PK IN SWEDEN

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

FAMILY IS GOD'S GREATEST GIFT

Last Tuesday, my wife and I left Rock Island for Lone Tree, Mo....to see our oldest daughter, who is on an adventure with her "significant other." I also wanted to see my mother, who lives in a care center in Gower, Mo., which is 75 miles north of Kelli's "5th wheeler." Since we stopped in Iowa City to comfort two dear friends, it was suppertime when we saw our daughter's new home for the first time... and we liked it! In fact, we liked it alot and we had a wonderful time. Christian is a lilkeable man who treats Kelli very well and it was a joy to see Kelli receive the love and attention she richly deserves. I was blessed with the opportunity to walk with Kelli in the morning and to do some fishing (for the first time in decades) in the evening. We visited my mother in her care center, enjoyed a great meal with my uncle and his family, and had a good time bonding... when our granddaughter, Brooke, called to tell us that her boyfriend (of nine years) had proposed and given her a (my word) "huge" ring. We had pretty much decided to love Justin anyway and to accept the fact that he and Brooke would not be a married couple... but he surprised us! He asked Brooke to marry him... and in that moment, a ripple of unabashed joy ran through our entire family. Mama Kelli was crying for joy, Sherry and I were giddy, and Brooke's great-grandmother said it was the happiest news she had heard in years!

So, with this in hearts, Kelli, Sherry, and I said goodbye to Christian and Mugsy, and left Missouri for Rock Island because we had to prepare for the arrival of Kelli's sister, Kendra, her husband, Shawn, AND our awesome grandson, Archer the next day. Kendra and Shawn recently sold their home in Brooklyn, NY and their offer on a home in Croton on Hudson had just been accepted! That too was a great joy, and of course, we had to prepare for Brooke and Justin, who were in route from the Chicago area. Our reunion had originally been planned as a retirement party for me, but since I reneged on my retirement, it had morphed into a Birthday party for Shawn, Justin, Archer, Kelli, and Brooke. But that was before the big engagement announcent, which pretty much trumped everything else.

When Archer saw me waiting at the Moline airpport, he ran to me with his arms open and with a mile-wide smile on his face. I reached out for him and gave him a big "poppy" hug. Later, he told me that I was "awesome." How can words capture such things? In any event, while the family was here, we played a rousing game of minature golf (which poppy won), ate the world's best ice cream at Country Style, and attended the River Bandits baseball game as a family except for my wonderful wife (aka grammy) who needed a little rest. Sitting at the game with our two beautiful daughters, a granddaughter (who is more than a granddaughter to me), little Archer sitting next to me (eating a bag of popcorn nearly as big as he is), and of course, their men (minus Christian, who will join Kelli in a few days) was priceless! I felt like a very rich and fortunate man. It was a moment of unfettered joy and I thank God for it!

Kelli, Brooke and Justin returned to Plainfield, and the rest of us returned home, where we immediately responded to Archer's plea for someone to play Mario 9 Party and Donkey Kong with him. Sunday came, and after church, we went to the Rock Island Zoo, where we rode a train and watched Archer enjoy his first pony ride. Shawn and Archer fed birds, goats, sheep, and a pig with seeds that they purchased, and we left after Archer had his first sno-cone. On Monday, we grilled out, tossed a baseball around, and made bubbles. It was all joy, and in the evening, Sherry and I were able to watch Archer, while his mommy and daddy had a "date" night. Tuesday was their last day, but I can't wait to get the pictures. My only regret is that our granddaughter, Brittany, wasn't able to join us. She's a beautiful person and she blessed Sherry and I with our first GREAT grandson (Donald IV) a year ago. He is absolutely beautiful too, and he, Brittany, (and his daddy, Donald III) would have made our family moment complete, just as they make our family unit complete.

Having said this, I can't remember a time when I experienced so much joy! It was pervasive and unmistakeable. It was visible at the campsite and around our Birthday/celebration table. It popped up in specific acts now and then, but mostly, it was always there, blowing like a gentle, life-giving breeze. Surely there is nothing in life more important than family- nothing even close- and I thank God for them from the bottom of my heart! Oh, by the way, did I mention that Brooke, who I used to carry on my shoulders and later, drove to elementary school, came outside while I was grilling... and asked me to walk her down the aisle at her marriage and then to turn around and conduct the wedding? It was almost enough to make a grown man cry.

1 comment:

  1. It did make me cry! How wonderful that you and Sherry were able to have this time with the kids! Love from your Texas family!

    ReplyDelete