PK IN SWEDEN

PK IN SWEDEN

Thursday, August 29, 2024

THE FIRST "COME TO JESUS" MOMENT

 

A “COME TO JESUS” MOMENT

 

In 1975, maybe it was ’76, I was driving under the influence of alcohol in St. Joseph, MO.. I drove by the same police officers at least twice at 3-5 miles per hour, and finally they pulled me over. I failed their sobriety test and they took me into custody, even though I kept telling them that a couple of small town Barney Fifes had no business arresting a man of my status. They were not impressed with my attitude and they locked me in a cell. Come morning, we all rode in a van to see a judge, and while we were getting into the van, the driver told me to sit up front with him. Looking at my suit, he told me that I didn’t have to sit with all of the drunks in back. He meant to be thoughtful, but I knew… that I was just a drunk in a suit! A drunk in a suit! It hit me hard. It got my attention and I knew that I was in deep trouble. So, for the first time, I came face-to-face with who I had become… and I prayed that somehow, in someway, God would clear my mind, forgive my sins, and lead me out of the abyss I was in!

 

For me it was a “come to Jesus moment,” and in recent years, I’ve heard the words- “come to Jesus”- more frequently than I like because the phrase seems a little flippant and a bit disrespectful to me. Yet, there are times when we need to confront the truth. There are moments when we need to get deep and lay our cards on the table. There are times when we need to assess where we stand and come to grips with what it means to be saved and “in Christ,” According to Webster, a “come to Jesus” moment is a moment of sudden realization, recognition, or comprehension- and it that’s the case, the 6th chapter of John is an example of a “come to Jesus” moment!

 

People follow other people for a variety of reasons. The person they follow may have a talent that they can hardly live without, or wisdom that they can’t find anywhere else, or charisma that attracts followers everywhere around. People follow other people to “fit in,” and to be part of something that’s transforming. There are a lot of reasons for following someone, but in most cases people follow people… who give them what they’re looking for!

And this has always been the case. Long before any church council told us what to believe and do, the people of the land followed Jesus because he set them free from the demons who possessed them, because he healed them and reunited them with their families and their communities, because he listened to them and gave them hope. Jesus attracted people because they believed that he could (and would) meet their needs. But there comes a time when a mature Christian begins to see that being “in Christ” has nothing to do with getting whatever we want! Jesus will never turn us away, but He is NOT our vending machine or ATM! As we mature in our faith, we begin to see that “being saved” leads us into a life of service and sacrifice!

 

After he fed the 5,000, Jesus returned to Capernaum, and when the crowd found out that he was gone, they crossed the sea and confronted Jesus… and when Jesus saw them, he accused them of seeking him for nothing more than another free meal. Free meals won’t save you, he seemed to say. Work for the food that gives you eternal life, he told them, and they asked him what that they needed to do for eternal life. And Jesus answered, “believe in me!” Trust in me because I AM the bread of life! Whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst! The bread. The fish. Your gated community, the size of your bank accounts, the important titles that you may have, the important people whom you may know, and your considerable charm- if you trust in these you will die. But if you trust in me as your source of life, you will not be disappointed.

 

Next Sunday, we’ll see that the banter between the crowd and Jesus gets more intense because the people cannot understand and are offended by … Jesus’ insistence that salvation is not possible at all unless we “take in” the flesh and the blood that Jesus sacrificed at Golgotha. The body of Christ- take and eat! The blood of Christ- drink your fill! This was the message… and many of those who were following him… walked away, saying that his teaching was too hard and harsh. Many followers who would have gladly settled for another meal… walked away because Jesus was asking for more than they wanted to pay. Then Jesus turned to the twelve and asked, “Are you going to leave me too?”

 

It may have been the first “come to Jesus moment” in the sense that people are using the phrase now. The crowd crossed the sea to hear a good message, to be healed, and to receive another fish sandwich. But then the moment became deeper and more demanding. It was something beyond the joy of fellowship and even the thrill of being healed. It was a moment when they were asked to show their cards and reveal the extent to which they really believed.

 

It was direct and unmistakable- THE BODY OF CHRIST, TAKE AND EAT- THE CUP OF SALVATION, DRINK YOUR FILL-and serve, pray, give, and love until you hear the words you long to hear, “Well done, good and faithful servant!” Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment