PK IN SWEDEN

PK IN SWEDEN

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

ME AND OTHER 5 O'CLOCK SINNERS REVISITED

 As most organizational psychology students know, "Equity Theory" is one of the theories that attempts to explain employee motivation in a group setting. It asserts that each one of us maintains ratios in our heads... of our inputs and outcomes versus someone else's... and as long as these ratios stay in balance... we are satisfied. For instance, if you earn more than I do, I can live with that... IF there is a "legitimate" reason. If you work harder or longer than I do, or have more education or experience than I have, I'm okay with you receiving more. If you have a better batting average than I do, or run faster than I do, it makes sense that you should receive more compensation. I may even understand it if you are the boss' son or daughter... BUT if you are receiving more than me, or even less, for reasons that are illegitimate to me, I will be unsettled. It isn't fair. The input-outcome ratios are out of whack, and I am likely to feel guilty if they are out-of-whack in my favor... and downright angry if they are unfair in your favor!
      It's not fair if you do less than me and receive more. Everyone knows this... except Jesus of Nazareth, who told this story for the entire world to hear. It was harvest time, and a landowner needed additional help to bring in the crop. So he went to the village... and hired a number of eager men at 6 in the morning. They were dedicated workers, the "early birds," but by mid-morning, he could see that he needed more help, and he hired more men at 9:00. This went on through the day, and he hired more men at noon, more again at 3:00, and finally, a few more at 5:00 pm (the 11th hour), even though he wondered why they had been idle all day. It was a good day for all, and at the owner's request, the men gathered to be paid. Well, for reasons of his own, the paymaster started with the last hired first. He approached the men who had been hired at the 11th hour... and (to everyone's delight) he paid them a full day's wage! It was very generous, and it bode well for everyone left. Surely, they thought, we will receive more because we worked longer... but the owner gave the same pay to those who had started work at 3 pm, at noon, at 9 am, and yes, to the men who had started working at 6 am.
      Even the "Johnny-come-lately's" received the same pay that they received... and as every student of "Equity theory" would know, this made the workers in all the other groups angry. It especially outraged those who started at 6 am, and they cried "UNFAIR."THIS IS OUTRAGEOUSLY UNFAIR. The owner noted that he had paid them exactly what they had agreed to, but they were more concerned with what the others had received, and they complained bitterly. We've worked harder and longer...and we deserve more! Right? Right? Doesn't everyone know that they deserved more? Don't we all agree that those who have run longer and harder should receive more? Of course, we do! Everyone knows that! According to Equity Theory and all that is holy, the men who started at 6 am were right! But... the owner was perplexed and he said, "Do you begrudge my generosity?" Do you resent my grace? Do you talk about grace in church... and secretly pray that God has a scorecard so that you will receive what you have coming? Do you really believe you ought to be compensated for the good person you are and the great person you intended to be? Would you do whatever you had to do to make sure you get the rewards you deserve? Yes, yes, yes. It's been my experience that people will throw their best friend "under the bus" to get the rewards that they think they deserve.
      They do this under the guise of being fair... but fairness is NOT a Biblical concept, and since we're all sinners, FAIRNESS is the last thing we need. Jesus' story must have upset his hearers, even as it upsets us, because it's about love, not equityWe live in a grace-less world, where there's no free lunch, and we know that nothing- not the game nor life itself- is worth doing without a score. 1) Effort and consequence- tit for tat- is all we know. This is one of the reasons that stories about grace confound us, but there's another. 2) We also have a perception problemWe have a tendency to place ourselves in the best and most faithful roles in every situation. We make ourselves the stars of every Biblical story, which we read as if it's written to someone else... when, in fact, the story is actually speaking TO US. When I hear the story of the Good Samaritan, for instance, I shake my head when the religious leaders walk by the man in need... but I have walked by more people in need that I can even countand I have also walked to the other side of the street on many occasions. Likewise, when I read about the widow giving all that she has in faith, I shake my head at the religious types who are pretending to be generous by flashing twenty dollar bills. I roll my eyes... but in truth, I would rather flash a twenty dollar bill now and then... than give sacrificially... in faith. 
      And when I hear Jesus' story about the pay system in heaven, it makes me more angry than grateful... because I see myself as being part of the 6 am crowd! But who am I kidding? I'm not a good Samaritan. I'm not the widow with her mite. And most assuredly, I'm not part of the 6:00 o'clock crowd. Not even close! The 6 o'clock crowd died in faith centuries ago. They met in caves and they were martyred in arenas. The 9 o'clock crowd died... to give us Bibles in our own tongues and to reform our church. The noontime crowd left their homes and endured great hardships to found this land and to build it... on faith in God... and the 3 o'clock crowd held Bible studies in Nazi concentration camps because they knew that Jesus Christ and not Adolf Hitler... is Lord! No, I'm not one of these, not even close, and I haven't earned anything at all. On the contrary, I'm one of those who stumbled in at the last minute, and I need grace more than anything else in the world! YOU do to! Not sort of, not kind of, but really... and deep down! I need grace more than anything else. Me. A sinner who was blessed... to be called at all... has no business shedding a single tear about unfairness. I have no business worrying about what anyone else deserves or doesn't deserve. None at all. I must keep my eyes on my Lord, and utter words like this: Thank you, Lord, for having mercy on me. I know that I didn't deserve to be called at all, but now I ask simply this: that you show me my neighbor and mold me into the servant you want me to be. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment