PK IN SWEDEN

PK IN SWEDEN

Saturday, December 2, 2017

On Being the Church

      Mama often said that the church was filled with hypocrites... and she was correct. There are a lot of hypocrites in the church. but what she didn't see is that the church, for all of its failings and unfaithfulness... is the body of Christ here on earth. It is the church- the people of God- who have been called to live out the Sermon the Mount and to follow the Nazarene wherever he leads them. It is the people of God- the church- who have been called to make disciples, pray for their enemies, and forgive others again and again and again. It is the church who is called to serve the world and love one another in Christ's name... and if the church doesn't do these things, no one will. The church is an organization no doubt, and thus it is filled with meetings and agendas. We are defensive and willful at times. We get lost, hurt, angry, and disappointed...but we are also a people who, to one degree or another, are striving to be faithful. We get lost in our activities and our traditions, but beneath and along side our self-will and ordinariness... is our firm conviction that we are a forgiven and empowered people. We know that we are sinners, but we believe that God is not through with us yet, and we cling to the notion that we will be better Christians tomorrow than we are today. Some of us are "faking it until we make it." This is true. Some of us have slid backwards a time or two, and some of us are making steady, if uneven, progress in our struggle to let go and trust God. Our faithfulness ebbs and flows. We are more hypocritical on same days than we are on others... but the vast majority of us feel that we are ordained- for a special calling and a sacred work.
      In short, we- the church- are forgiven sinners who are striving to serve God in ways that are faithful and perhaps even transforming, despite our hypocritical ways. We, apart from Christ, are nothing to brag about, but in His hands, we can be a mighty force for good. Indeed, each of the churches I have served as pastor has been filled with people whose faith was palpable and whose effort to serve Christ commendable. Having seen the worst of the church at times, I continue to be optimistic and pro-church because I know how strongly God's people want to serve Him. I've always been impressed with the passion that God's people have for their work, and tomorrow I have the privilege of telling the members of the first church I ever served how special they are in God's hands. It is their 150th Anniversary. I am grateful to the invitation because I love these people. They have had and continue to have (I suspect) some of the issues cited above... but by and large they see themselves as a people of God and they strive to be faithful servants for their Lord. With that in mind, I plan of saying something like this to them:
      The Church... is a people... called out... to carry a cross... along the narrow way... in surrendered service to their God... by loving the unloveable, touching the untouchables, loving one another is ways that glorify God, and doing that things that Christ did and taught us to do, such as preaching good news to the poor, standing up for justice, and breaking barriers that divide us and diminish the image of God in others. Does the church have budgets and goals, and committees, and infighting? Yes. Are their typoes in our love notes and notes that are sung off-key as we lift our voices in song? Yes? Has the church replaced our Lord's last words with its own last words- we've never done it that way before- yes. Yes, yes and yes. But we are saved by the grace- by the blood if you like- of our crucified and risen Lord- and we are filled with His Holy Spirit, This is either true or its not, and if its true, we can do wonderful and transforming things!
      I can't tell you how great it is to be here today, You are my first love you know. In 1990, maybe 89, when I attended a Presbytery meeting in your sanctuary, I was struck with its stately beauty, and in 1991, when I interviewed with your PNC, I was struck with their faith and their sincerity; and when I walked in my office for the first time, it was the moment when my life as a corporate vice-president met my new life as a servant of the people, and as I got to my feet, I was even more impressed with you commitment to serve the community- we joined JACOB and you had already established the Medical Clinic. I was also struck by the grace in which the older members welcomed new members and invited them to share in the church's leadership. This is a rare thing, and I was impressed too in the way in which you ministered to one another. There was Stephen Ministry, and the Women't Retreat, and Marriage Enrichment, and then Dinner Bells and our Golf Outings. And you had- still do I know- a commitment to Adult Education (we had several classes) and to the Children (Brooke was part of Logos), I could go on of course. The music was wonderful and known to be wonderful, and our youth groups were flourishing. The church had a pulse. It was living and responsive, and it was bold. The energy came from the Spirit, through you, but the vision came from Craig, who implemented the vision that God gave him with boldness and discipline!
      We were a going Jessie, a happening thing, and I will never forget it- just as Sherry and I will never forget the trip we took to Israel. I will never forget the people I loved- from Isabel Whitley to John Pocius,,, and I know that you have your memories too- deeper and wider that mine. Friends, this is a day to embrace your memories. Pick them up and give them a hug... but this is also a day to look ahead- a day in which we dream of ways in which we can do God's work in our time, in the same bold and faithful ways that others have done for us. Today is an extension of the past, but it is also the beginning of a future. Therefore, I encourage you to struggle with ways in which you can bring others to Christ, break down barriers, serve this community, and love another in the years ahead... in new ways, just as faithful and as bold as anything done before. In short, I encourage you to use this occasion to resolve that this church- the people called First Presbyterian Church of Joliet- will continue to be bold and faithful as you strive to reach new heights in your quest to break down barriers, build up hope, and welcome any and all people whom God sends your way. 
      You will find ways of being stronger and bolder tomorrow that than you even are today. I am sure it because you are in God's hands. Thanks for the invitation. You who were the first to embrace my ministry. You are a special people, with a special calling. You are blessed with a special staff and you have also been blessed with a unique opportunity- one which no other church in Joliet has, Now, go forth and claim it! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment