PK IN SWEDEN

PK IN SWEDEN

Thursday, June 5, 2014

I SAW JESUS THIS WEEK

      When the Son of Man returns, Matthew says, he will put "the sheep" at his right hand (always preferred in ancient times) and "the goats" at his left. We, it seems, will ultimately be either sheep or goats- and important distinction because it is the sheep who obey their shepherd- and it turns out that this is only one difference between the two. If we treat those who are in need (ill, isolated, frightened, imprisoned, poor, abused, dying, or stranger to us) as if they were Jesus himself, we will be "inherit the kingdom prepared for us" and sing love songs forever. That's it! For those of you who are interested in eternity, Matthew 25 gives you your final test... and it's open-book! To pass your final exam you won't have to know a single theologian's name or belong to any particular church. Heaven will be yours...if you see and respond to Jesus as he appears in the alleyways of the city, in our meal sites and food pantries, in our used clothing stores and overcrowded emergency rooms, in our prisons and rehabilitation centers, or maybe just sitting alone in some cheap-jack nursing home. God appears in unexpected people... so be alert. If you show ALL people the grace that God has given to you- without regard to color, age, education, or sexual preference-you will ace your final exam.
      But we (or should I just say "I") are too self-absorbed to take the risks or go to the effort of loving others. We are too egocentric to see Christ in the least among us and too frightened to respond when we do. Generally speaking, I take myself too seriously and I'm in too much of a hurry. Even though I know that it doesn't make sense, I find myself thinking that other people should defer to my agenda and my priorities, as if it's all about me. Sometimes I even get the notion that other people- slow drivers in the fast lane, people wearing big hats in the row in front of me, and needy people who don't seem to be trying hard enough- are deliberately raining on my parade. For instance... a few days ago, I stopped at a local restaurant to buy dinner for my wife. She hadn't been feeling well, and I thought it would be a thoughtful thing to do. So, even though I didn't have the time, I walked into Dr. Gyro's to order a Chicago-style hot dog to go. There was just one other couple in the place and I was happy... but one of them, a bent-over and ragged old man, was telling the cashier his life story. "I haven't been here in years," he said, as he tried to look around the cash register. He had to do this because he was bent double and his head was literally at the level of his waist. "I love this place," he said, "And I was really looked forward to getting here today because I don't get out much anymore." "What would you like?", the  man behind the counter asked in an effort to steer the conversation away from the weather, baseball, the crime rate, and a host of other things. There was a full-grown woman with this man- perhaps his daughter- and she had trouble making up her mind too. Finally, after what seemed to be forever, they ordered and began to move away from the cash register... when the old man said, "It's too bad you don't sell chili anymore." "Oh, we sell chili, sir." "Yes, but only on certain days." "No, we sell chili every day, sir. Would you like some?" He turned to his female companion and asked, "Do you want some chili?" "No," she answered, "But you can have some chili if you want." "I don't know, maybe," he replied. "You know what," she said to the cashier,"Add a small chili to our bill and we'll take it to go." Another transaction. Another delay. Evidently they didn't know how important I am, didn't appreciate how thoughtful I am...and I was ready to walk out.
      Why didn't this employee recognize that I had been waiting? Why didn't he know that he wasn't being paid to chit-chat? Why did the old man talk so much? Why wasn't he dressed better? Why couldn't the woman find the water button on the soft drink dispenser? What was I doing there anyway? And then, I heard my better voice: preacher, practice what you preach... and open your eyes to what you are really seeing! The man you saw in the restaurant- the old black man in the shabby sports coat- was not trying to make your life difficult. Didn't you hear the joy in his voice? Didn't you see that being there really was a joy to him? It HAD been a long time since he had been there and he was tickled to death. Talking to people is not as common for him as it is for you, and it was fun for him to tell his story to another person. What's wrong with that? And the part about the chili- wasn't it worth a moment of your time... for him to take a memory, home? Open your eyes and see that you were blessed to watch a moment of joy in which a stranger listened to an old man and treated him as if he was somebody special! Sometimes God appears as a magnificent sunset. Sometimes he appears as a little child with a special need. Sometimes he stands at a cash register and talks about chili to anyone who will listen. Are you listening?
      Yes, I'm listening, Lord, and I promise to open my eyes... so that I will recognize Jesus when I see him in the least among us. Lord, please help me to take my eyes off my self so that I will see you when you are hungry, thirsty, lonely, abused, shut-in, shut-away, or lonely. Help me to see you in the neighbor who has always seemed odd to me, the grocery clerk who is working two jobs to make ends meet, the pregnant teen who comes to me seeking unconditional love, and as an old man who gets a kick out of a modest dining experience. Amen,

1 comment: