PK IN SWEDEN

PK IN SWEDEN

Saturday, June 28, 2014

A Tribute to a Man of God

I have just posted a blog about my friend, Jeff Arduser, but I choose to post one more... because he touched our hearts so deeply and because he has left such a big empty place in our church family. It isn't possible to capture a life- any life- in words alone because they are always incomplete without the music. However, it is our custom and privilege to offer a eulogy when our friends pass away... and the following is essentially what I said at the "Celebration of Life" service we held for Jeff Arduser in our church this morning.
Let me tell you about a man of God…who was an angel in our midst. Let me tell you about a friend who gave far more sermons on the grace of God over the past four years than I have. He walked into my office with his wife and told me that he had decided to follow Christ in his daily life, and that he wanted to make SPPC his spiritual home. It’s not that he wanted to be Presbyterian- I don’t think he ever cared if he was Presbyterian- nor was he searching for a church to simply attend. On the contrary, he was embarking on a faith journey, not a church journey, and he wanted a place where the gospel was taught, where Christ was served, and where people loved one another. His wife was with him, and although I didn’t get the idea that she was against his decision, I did feel that she was afraid of where it would lead them. After all, her husband had entered surgery as a thoughtful man and a nice car salesman (yes, it's possible), and come out of surgery with an iron-clad decision to cast his die with Jesus Christ. He was marching to a different drummer and no one really knew where that would lead them.
Well, they joined our church and jumped in with both feet. Jeff joined our properties team and our men’s group, and Kelly was ordained as an elder in the Presbyterian Church USA.  Things were going pretty well for a while, even though Jeff’s cancer had metastasized. Jeff was strong. Kelly got a new job, and they were regularly sitting in their own pew.  But Jeff’s immune system was low and he was attacked by a life-threatening infection, which was a turning point… because it led him into an impossible situation. If they treated his cancer, the wound became worse, and if they treated his wound, the cancer spread... and Jeff began to weaken physically. But as he weakened physically, he showed greater strength spiritually… and he kept on proclaiming the greatness and the goodness of God… in person and especially on FB. He gave God the credit for all good things, and he continued to believe that all things are possible for God. He had led several members of his family to Christ, and he wanted the whole world to know Jesus. He kept on praising God, and he never complained. “How’s it going, Jeff?” you might say, and he’s say, “Fine.” Are you in any pain? Not really.  Are you feeling down? Oh no, why would I be feeling down. God is not done with me yet. I have my Lord, my rock (Kelly), my family, my friends, and my faith. I’m a wealthy man, pastor… and maybe you and Sherry can come over for a cookout in a week or two! 
That’s how it went with Jeff. He was always affirming, always positive, and even though I tried to get him to confess that he was struggling from time to time, he never did. Once, when Kelly asked him once if he was mad at God… she says he gave her the most incredulous look, as if to say, “I can't comprehend your question? How can I be mad at the One who created me, saved me, and who walks with me everyday?” I knew Jeff for some time and I talked with him many, many times… and I never heard him demean, undermine, or take another person’s inventory in any way- not once. He always affirmed others, made excuses for them, and some of us thought he may be too nice, too gentle… and get taken advantage of. But you never want to confuse grace with weakness, not kindness with complacency… because it was Jeff Arduser who changed his life and walked in faith, who led others to the same decision, who lobbied for this old pastor to keep his job, and who decided a week ago Thursday… to enter into the Kingdom of God. He said that his time had come, that he had a deep and abiding peace in his heart, and that he had no fear at all. He had just encountered another significant issue, which would’ve required another invasive surgery, that probably would not have worked and which he probably would not have survived… and he said “No. I will die as a man of faith, with the love of my life at my side. So, call the girls, mom, sis, and the family because God has blessed me with the chance to say “goodbye!” “You know,” he told Kelly, “We’ve had a good life,” and he told the girls how proud he was of both of them. “The only thing I ask,” he said, “Is that you look in on Kelly from time to time… and don’t lose contact with her.”
I had talked in depth with him and Kelly at their home some weeks before, and I felt that Jeff and I (and Kelly) connected at a deep level- that we had somehow touched the center of one another’s faith- and been blessed in doing it. I’d like to think that I added my two cents on that night, but it was Jeff’s turn to teach in the hospital… and he taught as if he had a Doctorate in faith. He taught us all that, not only is it possible to live as a Christian, but that it’s also possible to die as a Christian… but here’s the punchline…He ain’t dead! He ain’t dead! Jeff Arduser is alive, and he will always be alive… for the Bible says that those who live and trust in Christ will never die.  The angel asked Mary when she peered into the empty tomb, “Why do you search for the living among the dead? The one whom you seek is not here! He’s been resurrected…and in His name, Jeff has also, and he is with his God, singing the praise music that he loved, talking with his dad, and praying for Kelly and his girls. “Jesus,” he might be saying, “Give them full and vibrant lives- lives filled with love, purpose, and laughter. Nurture their faith, so that they will discover the depth of who they are and the mystery of life. Watch over mama, too, because she’s dealing with a lot of grief.”  Jeff Arduser, my dear friend...you kept the faith and showed us what it means to be a Christian. You loved your neighbors, you lived and died with peace and grace, and you made growing in Christ your passion. If it wasn’t for you, I wouldn’t have been here to walk with you and Kelly, and I would’ve missed one of my greatest joys. I wonder… if you ever thought of that. I don’t know... but I do know that when I left the hospital on Sunday night... there was a rainbow as big as the sky itself. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. And all the people say AMEN! See you again, brother.

    ReplyDelete