PK IN SWEDEN

PK IN SWEDEN

Sunday, November 12, 2023

 

SACRED MEMORIES

 

Over the years I’ve preached at more than a hundred funerals. Some of them were for family members- my mom, my cousin, and both of my brothers. Some of them were for church friends. Some of them were for people whom I didn’t know well and some of them were for people I didn’t know at all. But they were all sacred to me. Today, I will “lift up” a few of the many who gave me a lesson in faith.  

 

Isabelle Whitley

Isabelle was an elderly woman who reminded some people of the “church lady” on SNL. She was struggling to die when I walked into her room and her family told me that she had been “waiting for me.” I doubt that, but I could see that she was afraid to let go, In time however, with a nurse reassuring her, and with me chiming in, she passed away. I forgot to tell her family that Isabel was the first person to die in my presence.

 

Bus Iglehart

I remember a man called “Bus,” who befriended me and took me to a “Rockies” football game. I loved his stories and took a little pride in the fact that Bus didn’t like most pastors. He and his wife became friends and Sherry and I shared many meals with them. In the end, cancer had its way with Bus. I called on him at his home when he was in hospice care. On each visit I told Bus that I loved him… and I surely did.

 

Will Miner

I remember Wilbur as a witness to our Lord’s love and grace. Clerk of Session, Stephen Ministry leader, family man, friend, and “man of God.” Will blessed everyone who crossed his path. I last saw Will in the Joliet Hospice facility, where he had been for some time. Since he seemed to be feeling good, he told me that he was going to “flunk” hospice, but he didn’t. He passed shortly after that moment, but the last thing he said to me was: “We will meet again!” And he meant it.

 

Johnny Pena

I remember a young man who had gotten off-track somewhere along the line, but he had a heart of gold and a palpable love for his family. He was as sweet and vulnerable as anyone could be. I was blessed to visit Johnny on occasion. I was also blessed to pray with him and and to serve him Communion. In the end, he embraced his Lord, hugged his mom, and moved on to his home in heaven. At Johnny’s funeral we played “Angel Flying Too Close to The Ground,” and I am glad we did.

 

Jack May

I remember Jack. He and his wife attended our church because they saw my name in the paper. It turned out that Jack had worked for my dad in Des Moines. I was blessed to officiate their daughter’s wedding and to have Jack emcee at my retirement get-together. Then Joyce gave me the honor of speaking at Jack’s funeral. Lauding Jack’s walk with Christ was easy to do. And so was celebrating his contributions to our church. But saying “goodbye” to a man I loved was heartbreaking.

 

Jeff Arduser

Jeff and Kelly came into my office searching for a community of faith. Jeff had just experienced a life-changing moment and he wanted to walk with Jesus. And he did, as he struggled with cancer. He walked humbly and he walked faithfully. He walked gently and he walked with assurance. He walked with his Lord and he walked with Kelly. He died believing that he was in God’s hands, and when I left his hospital room for the last time, I saw a rainbow that filled the sky. It seemed to go from one end of the QC to other, and I smiled.

 

Connie Dahl

Not long ago we had a graveside service for my friend, Connie. It was on a morning when Connie would’ve been working in our church’s resale store down the road, but instead, her loved ones were taking their seats before the service began. We talked about Connie’s faith and the love that she had for those in her world. As I claimed Christ’s promise of life beyond the grave, her mother cried. Her tears didn’t come from disbelief. They came from the pain that love demanded.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment