PK IN SWEDEN

PK IN SWEDEN

Saturday, May 20, 2017

REVEALING THE "UNKNOWN" GOD

      Life was a struggle in the ancient world, especially for those who were powerless and unwelcome. There were slaves who lived without freedom... and widows and orphans with no social or financial support at all.  People died young, from causes that no one understood, and human rights weren't even considered. Droughts, floods, pestilence, invading armies, and even the changing of the guard within a country... dramatically altered and shattered peoples' lives. Life was difficult and happiness was elusive. Thus, the people turned to a number of gods and philosophies to make sense of things and to bring order, perhaps even love and prosperity, to themselves and their families.
      In the apostle's day, Greece was the center of culture and enlightenment. It was the home of Plato,  Socrates and scores of other famous philosophers. It was a place of deep thought, where men actually tried to figure out how to be happy. The Epicureans held that, since life was fleeting, people ought to make...enjoying it... their number one goal. Eat, drink, and be merry, they said, but the Stoics maintained that life was more to be endured than enjoyed. The average person had to do some of both, of course. They had to find a little joy in a life that they mostly endured, but they could turn to their gods... and visit them in any number of shrines, statues., and altars. Zeus (the king god) was represented and so was Ares (aka Mars, the god of war)... and Hera (who specialized in women and marriage). Dionysos (who oversaw wine and festivity), Aphrodite, Poseidon and scores of others. In fact, someone noted that it was easier to find a god than a man in Athens... and it was in Athens where the prophet spoke to them of an "unknown god."
      According to Scripture, Paul first went to the synagogue in Athens with his message about Christ crucified and risen, but he soon found himself in conflict with certain Epicureans and Stoics, who accused him of being a "babbler," or of advocating "foreign gods." They considered him to be a fool, but given their commitment to ideas and dialogue, they brought him to Mars Hill... so that he could make his case. And he did... but instead of demeaning them, the apostle met them "where they were at," as we might say. "I can see that you're a very religious people," he noted in my words, "because I've read the monuments and statues that dot your community. I know of your commitment to explain the things you cannot understand, and I can see that you've made a effort to honor the gods whom you cannot see... in marble and gold. I see that you're a people given to worship, and with that in mind, I want to talk about the altar you have inscribed to an "unknown God"... because I know who this God is. In fact, I've experienced his grace and his power. Look," the apostle seemed to say, "there is a God who created us in His own image and who desires that we live joyful and obedient lives. There is a God who listens to us, intercedes for us, and loves us so much that he gave his life for us. What is more, this same God, who is Christ Jesus, rose from his grave and gave us victory over both death and sin.  This God- my God, your unknown God- lives today, and in him, we live... but he cannot be depicted in marble and stone! This unknown God, to whom you have built an altar, is the source of all good things and the author of all knowledge and all love. He is my Savior and he invites you to worship and trust in him today."
      It's a wonderful story. You can read it in the Bible, but I wonder what it means for us, as people of faith. What will I do with it? How will we respond when we find ourselves on Mars Hill? Will we be able to tell others that the unknown God whom they seek is Jesus Christ... in ways that don't demean them or turn them off? I'm no Paul, but if I should have the chance, I pray that I'll have the grace and the courage to say something like this: As I walk along the streets of my world, I know that life is difficult, fleeting, and unfair. I know that there are more things that happen that I can't explain than there are things that I can explain. I know that we're all insecure and frightened... and I see that you are a religious people. I see the altars that you have dedicated to money. I see that some of them are merely mirrors... and I see that many of them are dedicated to beauty and pleasure. I see monuments to wealth all around and altars dedicated to power too. I can see that the god of independence is worshiped, and I know that many people worship their church. I see the monuments you've built to your gods, but I also know that you are seeking a God who will know you, and love you anyway. I know that you're seeking a God who really has forgiven you... for being born into a world that is beyond your control... and I know that, at times when you are completely alone, that your hearts will be lifted by a God who has promised that he will never leave you orphaned. In short, in a world filled with statues to lesser gods, I know- because I've been there- that most of you really, really pray... that in the face of your doubts and your wanderings... there really is a God who can save you!
      Friends, if we're given a chance to speak on Mars Hill, will we be able to tell the people that Jesus Christ is Lord... in ways that neither diminish him or turn them away?  Since we can't give what we don't have, we have to get right with God ourselves... but if you've found peace and purpose in Christ, pray that you'll be able to let others know that Jesus is the God whom they have yet to know. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment