PK IN SWEDEN

PK IN SWEDEN

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

THE FIRST GIFT EXCHANGE

      I love to give gifts and it's my guess that you do too! This year, we had an early Christmas with our grandson and great-grandson and it gave me great joy to see Donald Ray open the dinosaur that we gave him. He tore the package a little, and a little more, and when he saw that it was a walking dinosaur... with a remote control... his eyes became as big as saucers and he frantically got rid of everything that was in his way. It was the same with Archer, of course... and with my wife, Sherry, who loves every gift she has ever received. I love to give and it's easy for me to share in the joy that the gift brings. Giving comes easy to me, and to most of you I'm sure... but I'm NOT a particularly good receiver. It makes me feel vulnerable and uneasy... so I've been known to hastily open my gift out of turn, when no one is looking. I don't know why I'm this way. Perhaps I'm afraid to disappoint others- I don't know- but I do know that Christmas is at least as much about receiving as it is about giving. In fact, Christmas is mostly about receiving... because we're not in charge. God is. God's in charge... and through his Son, he offers us a life of purpose, joy, and deep, abiding peace.
      Christmas has always involved giving AND receiving and it began as a gift exchange... between two unequal, but necessary, participants. One of them was God, who spoke through an angel, and the other one was a teenage, Jewish girl named Miriam. "Look," the angel said, "God has a gift for you. A baby boy, whom you will give birth to, watch over, and rear until he becomes a man... and begins his ministry." "What do you say?" "Look," the angel said, "You'll become pregnant with God's child and he will give you joy, even though your fiancee' will consider leaving you... and people will talk about you throughout your life. What do you say, Miriam?" "Look, Miriam, God is offering you the chance of a lifetime- of all time really- but you'll have to offer him your life- all of it. What do you say?' "Oh listen, Miriam, God is offering this broken and hurting world... a Savior... and a champion ... a Shepherd who will lead them to green pasture and turn the whole world on its head... but he needs you to say, 'yes,' Mary. What do you say?" "Are you ready to embrace your Son as God's purpose and plan for your life? What do you say?"
      Mary, what would you say? Judy, what would you say if God offered you the riches of eternity? Would you say, 'yes,' or 'no thanks. "I've got my eye on some lakefront property?" Jim, what would you say if God offered you the gift of forgiveness? Would you say, 'thanks,' or "you shouldn't have, Lord, because I don't need to be forgiven?" Jack, what would you say if God offered you immense joy? Would you say, 'thanks,' or, "no thanks, I've got my hands full of wine, women and song." "Jane, would you like a Savior so that you will never be imprisoned by sin and self again!" Would you say "yes," or "no thanks, Lord. I know that I need a Savior, but you want too much in return. I was hoping for cheap grace. I was wanted an easy going Lord, who wouldn't want to run my life."
      God is coming to you. What will you say? Will you be afraid to receive his gift... or will you join Mother Mary in saying, "Let it be, Lord. Let it be according to your grace-filled will." Friends, I hope
that you will give this Christmas. Give, give, give. Give until people roll their eyes. But remember that God is offering you new life and a new name through his Son! It's his gift to you... and there's only one string to the offer- you need to accept it, embrace it, and surrender to it, no matter where He leads you, no matter what it costs. Consider what it really means when God shows up. That's what Mary did. At first she was troubled, but then she said, "Let it be." Oh, let it be according to your word, Lord.
      Two vulnerable participants discussed the first Christmas gift exchange. God and a teenager. God offered a Savior ... for her obedience. A new beginning... for her surrendering. Eternal life... for living  this life for Him. God and the teenager exchanged gifts... and the first Christmas was on! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment