PK IN SWEDEN

PK IN SWEDEN

Friday, May 15, 2015

IS THE CHURCH THE ANSWER (TO HIS PRAYER)?

      There's a time to say hello, and a time to say goodbye. There's a time to teach, and a time to empower. There's a time to lean on the source of our strength, and a time to BE a source of strength. There's a time leading to a moment, a time for the moment itself, and a time to grow from the moment... and the moment I'm talking about is his crucifixion. Before he died at Golgotha, Jesus lived among us, full of grace and truth. He called followers to walk with him, and as they walked, he revealed the wisdom and the power of God to them. He taught God's priorities, and he showed them God's ways through many signs and wonders. He was their good shepherd, but he couldn't stay with them forever... and in the 13th chapter of John, they gathered together for their last supper.
      As it is today, suppertime was a time for fellowship and conversation, for stories and words of wisdom, and after he washed their feet and Judas left to do what he had to do, Jesus began to speak. He spoke of his glorification and of Peter's denial. He told them that he would prepare a place for them in heaven, and he promised to send his Holy Spirit so they would "not be orphaned." He reminded them that real love is obedient, and commanded them- and believers in all times and places- to love one another as he loved them. He reminded them- and us- that they should manifest the relationship that he shared with his Father. The church's job, it seems, is to connect the empowering and forgiving love that it receives from God with the world at large. We are his hands and feet, his ears, his eyes, and his heart here on earth. We are the culmination of his earthly work. Thus, it is important that we grow in faith... and that our love for one another glorifies Christ.
      There's a time to look your neighbor in the eye, and a time to lift your eyes to heaven, and that's exactly what Jesus did as he offered his farewell prayer to his Father. Everyone else is now on the outside, just watching and listening, as Jesus prays to his God.
      Father, he said, the hour has come. I have made your name- that is your character and your ways- known to those whom you gave me. (God is our Father, or as one of my seminary profs said, our Mother if you insist, but never... and impersonal force or a higher power). Father, Jesus went on, protect them. Keep them safe, as I have done while I lived among them. Protect them... so that they will be one... just as you and I are one. Protect them from the evil one. Protect them from the temptations and threats that come from a world that does not know you. Sanctify them by your word, Father (where sanctification means to be nourished as we grow within the work we've been set apart to do). Father, these Spirit-empowered sheep are the culmination of my work, and I will send them to people and places, just as you sent me! I have commanded them to travel lightly- in faith- so protect them as they go. And it's not just for these for whom I pray, but for all believers- including those who congregate in Rock Island. I pray that they may be one, as you and I are one. Righteous Father, I want those whom you give to me to be with me. O, may the love you have for me be in them and may I myself be in them too. Amen!
      Wow! What a moving prayer. A prayer that is filled with love and which is surprisingly direct. In essence, Jesus asked his Father to protect us because 1) we are the only hope that an unbelieving world has of knowing God, and 2) that the love we share will be like the love that the Father and Son share with one another. It seems to me that, when you get right down to it, making God know to a broken and hurting world, is our only job. So, how about it? Have we been an answer... or an obstacle... to our Lord's personal prayer?

No comments:

Post a Comment