PK IN SWEDEN

PK IN SWEDEN

Friday, March 20, 2015

ANCIENT WORDS (That I Love)

      Ancient words, ever true, changing me, changing you. We have come with open hearts. Oh, let the ancient words impart. Holy words, long preserved, for our walk in this world. They resound with God's own heart. Oh, let the ancient words impart. Words of life, words of hope, give us strength, help us cope. In this world, where e'er we roam, ancient words will guide us home! (from Michael W. Smith's song, Ancient Words)
      Ancient words. In the beginning "the earth was dark over the deep sea, and God's Spirit swept over the waters- God said, 'Let there be light.' And God created humanity in God's own image, in the divine image God created them, male and female... (Gen. 1) God is our creator. He is a life-giver and his words alone give light and form. We are created in God's image, with all the promise and responsibility that this brings. May God bless these ancient words! Then the day came when father Abraham led his boy, Isaac, up the mountain, to sacrifice him in obedience to God. He arranged the wood, tied him up, raised his knife... and God cried out, "Abraham, Abraham... on the mountain of God, God provides the ram." (Gen,12) Never sacrifice your children in the name of God because, when a son is sacrificed, it will be his! May God bless these ancient words. "Then God said: I am the Lord your God. You shall have no other gods before me. Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy. Do not do any work on it- not you, your children, your servants, or the alien who is residing with you. Do not murder, or steal, or lie." Ancient words from Ex. 20. "You must be holy because I am holy. When you harvest your produce, you must not harvest all the way to the edge of your field, also do not pick your vineyard clean or pick up the grapes that have fallen. Leave these for the poor and the immigrant." (Lev. 19) Put God first, honor your parents, leave your hands off your neighbor's stuff, don't murder your neighbor, nor his reputation with gossip and slander. Ancient words. Words that give our own lives order and guidance, May God bless these ancient words. "Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love. Wipe away my sins, according to your compassion, Create a clean heart within me," (Psalm 51) Our God is a forgiving God. He forgives 70 times 7, and he is a giver of second-chances and new names. We are invited to lay our burdens down and be new again. May God bless these ancient words!
      "Ancient words, ever true, changing me and changing you. Holy words... of our faith, handed down to this age, Came to us... through sacrifice. O heed the faithful words... of Christ."  "I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never hunger and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty," (John 6) "I am the good shepherd. I know my own sheep and they know me." (John 10) "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me will live, even though they die, and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die." (John 11) Don't let your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. When I go and prepare a place for you, I will return and take you to be with me. I am the way, the truth, and the life. (John 14) I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will freely give water from the life-giving spring. I will be their God and they will be my children." (Rev, 21) Ancient words. Our God lives, and because he lives, we will live. There's a great day coming- just as surely as tomorrow is coming- when our hearts will come to rest in him, when we will live with him, dine with him face-to-face, and drink freely of his living water. This is the greatest truth ever told. This is the greatest hope ever given, and it springs from his ancient words. Ancient words will guide us home! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment